Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Cat: or how I lost eternity by Jutta Richter



I feel a little dense. I did not get this book. I had to read a review to see what others had to say this book was about. What I could discern from the book is that Christine hangs out and talks to a bald, white ,stray cat on her way to school every morning. Talking to the cat makes her late and she gets in trouble for being "willful." I thought, perhaps, the cat was the part of her own mind that makes her question everything. I didn't like the cat. The cat always told her she was stupid and was coming up with ways to get around doing what was expected. Eventually she stops talking to the cat. Eternity was gone. Does this mean her innocence or naivete is gone? I'm not sure.

This would be one of those books you had to decipher in freshman English that was completely lost to me. I'm sure others "got" the book and thought it was wonderful, but it wasn't for me.

No comments: