Saturday, July 26, 2008

Let it Shine: Three favorite spirituals by Ashley Bryan


This is a little embarrassing, but I have to be honest. I teared up a little reading through this book. I'm not sure if it is the pregnancy hormones, or what, but I was signing "He's Got the Whole World" and looking at the beautiful illustrations and I was just overcome with emotion. I can't tell you how excited I was to see "This Little Light of Mine" as the very first song too! I started singing and doing the hand movements we learned in Bible school when I was little. It's funny how those things come back to you, even if you haven't thought about them in 20 years! I started flipping through the book while talking to my sister on the phone and I actually squealed and said, "Oh! I have to get this for Alison! (my niece)." It's wonderful to have these songs written down and accompanied with vivid, beautiful illustrations for children to learn from. I especially liked the note from the author at the end when he points out the origin of these songs; there's a little history lesson here too.

No comments: