Monday, July 21, 2008

Your Own, Sylvia: a verse portrait of Sylvia Plath by Stephen Hemphill


Of course I have heard of Sylvia Plath, but that's about as far as my knowledge went-that and the fact that she had a tragic life and death. I've never been much of a poetry fan. I read what I had to in school and that was about it. To me, all poets are really old and from the 1800s. I know that's silly, but that's where my mind goes when I think poetry. So, this biography of Sylvia Plath was an eye-opener for me. It wasn't that long ago that she was writing her poetry.
The author chose to write this biography in poems that reflect Plath's own style. Her life from birth to her death is told through the voices of her family, friends and acquaintances. Additional biographical information is written as footnotes at the bottom of each page. I would never have picked up a biography on Plath. I would have never been aware of her poetry. This book changed my view and I'm all ready looking up Plath's own work.

No comments: