Monday, July 21, 2008

Glass by Ellen Hopkins


Glass is the continuing story of Kristina, a girl who suffers from meth addiction she obtained while visiting her father (also a meth addict) for the summer. Due to her lifestyle the previous summer, Kristina now finds herself a seventeen year-old mother. She had, thankfully, given up her addiction during her pregnancy, but four months after her son's birth, she starts up again. Kristina's life quickly goes down the toilet. She gives up her son to her mother, gets kicked out of her house, lives with two different drug dealers and becomes a dealer herself. With her "boyfriend", Trey, she gets herself arrested for felony transport of drugs across state lines and, while in jail, learns she is pregnant yet again. Her statement is, "I'll change, hopefully."
This book was seriously dark, pathetic, depressing and yucky (for lack of a better word). I just went through the death of my mother-in-law due to alcoholism and have a cousin who is messed up in the whole meth world. I don't ever want to get close to any kind of addiction and get drawn into this kind of existence, but I guess we don't always have control over that. I think middle-school kids through high school need to be exposed to this book and the real realities of drug abuse. I know a lot of the kids I teach have seen this first hand, but many of the other kids think getting high is "cool." They need to see it is, in no way, a cool way to live.

No comments: