Friday, July 11, 2008

Mother Goose: Numbers on the loose by Leo and Diane Dillon



I was not a fan of this particular book. Perhaps I'm not a fan of Mother Goose like I thought. I only recognized a few of the rhymes and didn't like the ones I was unfamiliar with. Maybe this is just prejudice from my childhood and I only like the ones I was told growing up. Either way, this book really didn't do much for me. There are big illustrations in muted tones with the rhymes printed on the same pages. Whenever a number occurs in a rhyme, the number is highlighted and the pictures correlate to the number mentioned to help with counting. For example, in Baa, Baa, Black Sheep, the three in "Three bags full" is highlighted and the illustration has the master, the dame and the little girl down the lane with their bags. I do see how this is helpful, but I think there are better counting books available.

No comments: